Entertainment
Sangeeta Kocharekar
Monday, January 18, 2016 - 21:05

Novak Djokovic serves bombshell about tennis corruption

Novak Djokovic

The world's number one player has some big ~old~ news to share... 

Nine years after the fact, Novak Djokovic has revealed he was once indirectly offered a cool $200,000 USD to throw a match. The world’s number one tennis player told news.com.au the offer made him feel terrible.

“I was not approached  directly. I was approached through people that were working with me at that time, that were with my team. Of course, we threw it away right away. “It didn’t even get to me, the guy that was trying to talk to me, he didn’t even get to me directly. There was nothing out of it.”

While he didn’t end up playing in the tournament he said he was still troubled by the offer.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

“Somebody may call it an opportunity. For me, that’s an act of unsportsmanship, a crime in sport honestly. I don’t support it. I think there is no room for it in any sport, especially in tennis. I always have been taught and have been surrounded with people that had nurtured and respected the sport’s values. That’s the way I’ve grown up. Fortunately for me, I didn’t need to get directly involved in these particular situations.”

The news comes as the Australian Open kicked off in Melbourne, the same day reports by BBC and BuzzFeed News alledged 16 of the top 50 tennis players have thrown matches in the past decade. The publications said the players had been repeatedly flagged to the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU), but they were still allowed to play. According to them, eight of those players are currently competing in the Aus Open.